Northern Blast Sled Dogs

Carol & Alan Pepsick

Home & Blog

Keeping The Site

Posted on January 13, 2015 at 12:25 PM

After my last posting, I received several requests to keep our blog going. So for now I will keep the website up and running. ;)

Also as requested here is the first update regarding Alan's status. He was scheduled for surgery last Thursday but due to some insurance issues, it has been postponed and a new date has not been set yet. Not a great start! Unfortunately this glitch pushes everything back.

So, as mentioned in my last posting I will try to use this time to update other parts of the website and I have already been able to start on that. OUR HUSKY HISTORY page was a bit out of date so I have updated some pictures, descriptions, and formatting. I have added a few older pictures that I recently scanned from our early beginnings. I will share those here as well but they can easily be viewed any time on Our Husky History page which also makes for a great reference page if you want to know how we acquired a certain dog or what their status is.


August 2004. These are our first 4 dogs along with an old rickety cart we got for free, minus the drive to Washington to pick it up and the repairs that were needed. This picture shows the first time we put it all together for some trial runs on the property of Lee Hills Snoshu Ranch. One of us would drive as I am here while the other ran alongside to monitor, then Alan and I would switch. Next it was time to hit the trails.

Fall training 2004, Barlow Rd. Historical Picture. Our first year training back when we used to use a picket line (shown here) attached to the front of our truck which made parking a littler trickier. Loved training on sandy Barlow Road with its twists and turns and so easy on the feet but it doesn't allow motorized vehicles so we haven't been on it since we started training on the quad. All but one dog is now diseased in this picture. In the foreground is Lee Hills dog Sunny, who was Holly's father. I really liked Sunny. He was the only dog in this group who had previous training, he just hadn't been training for several years and he was ecstactic that we were getting him out again. His talents stood out amongst this group and when I started training my own 3-dog team, Sunny was my leader. I also liked his personality and he had the most unique eyes. He was parti-eyed, both eyes were marbled, a swirling mixture of blue and brown. He also had purple blotches on his tongue, a trait that was passed down to 2 of his grandchildren, Spirit and Tundra, and 2 of his great grandchildren, Faith and Bounder. After this one year of training with us, Sunny retired himself happily at the age of 11. If you happen to own the 3rd edition of The Siberian Husky book, look in the back at the ads. About 6-7 pages from the back cover on the top left is Snoshu's kennel ad and pictured is a gorgeous picture of Sunny. I always admired this picture, it used to hang on Lee's wall in her home. Behind him is his son Skadi, half-brother to Holly, and this little family group were the 3 on my first team. Skadi was long-legged with a nice build but he had no running experience until we clipped him in at the age of 5. He was one of the two dogs that Alan and I started off with, with skijoring (1-2 dogs pulling you by the waist while you cross-country ski). Skadi trained with us until we moved onto our own property. The 3 dogs in the back are 3 of our first 4 dogs (pictured above) and all 3 came from rescues. On the right is Stuart, in the middle is the white dog Comet, and on the left is Po, the only one in this picture not diseased but is retired. To learn more about these dogs, be sure to review Our Husky History page.

And some more pictures taken from this past weekend.

You never know what you might find when you walk into a dog's kennel.

After letting the dogs out to play I walked in to Cheyenne's kennel to do the usual scooping and found that she left her chew bone perfectly balanced upright on her dog house. She would have to have jumped off after setting this up and apparently she did so without disturbing it. I knew this dog was talented. :D

Lastly, I started a new hobby during the fall, dog related of course, thanks to Rachel. When the Native American Litter turned 3 in August, the litter she helped out so much with, she showed up with a birthday snack for each of them and Kwyta. They were homemade bones (biscuits). I asked how she had made them and she replied with "a Bake-A-Bone maker". She said it was just like a waffle maker. I was intrigued. We looked it up online and ordered one. After spending a weekend making several batches, I ordered another. It comes with a book of recipes that are easy and fun to make. It cooks 4 bones at a time and they cook for about 8 minutes. One batch is supposed make 24 bones but I usually get more than 30. With the two makers I can do a whole batch in about an hour. I really like knowing exactly what ingredients goes into them and then serving them fresh right off the cooling rack. The dogs go nuts for them. I recommend this to anyone.

I made this batch on the weekend. This is the first time I made chicken (which I added a litte cheese to) and it was a big hit. I have made the following flavors with no complaints: Bacon, Tuna, Cheese (cheddar), Mint, Carrot, Potato, Peanut butter, Apple, and Cottage cheese.

Pictured are the Bake-A-Bone makers with the cooling batch of chicken bones.

Categories: None

Post a Comment


Oops, you forgot something.


The words you entered did not match the given text. Please try again.

Already a member? Sign In